Work Experience?

Hello everyone!
-
I am in year 10 now and in October I will be doing my work experience. By then I will be in year 11 but I want to organize my placement now so that when we leave school in July for the summer holidays I will have a secure place. Because I am a lover of all things cosmetics from blush to bath bombs I have decided to explore the beauty market. Instead of going for a position in Boots which I am lead to believe is office based, I wanted to go for a counter somewhere like the local John Lewis, Debenhams or House Of Fraser. Because I don't want to do the work on my own, one of my closest friends Léa decided that she would be interested in this also so we both contacted John Lewis. Basically we are having a meeting with our school's work experience director in a weeks time about this position. Anyway enough about me and more about how you guys (if you are starting to consider work experience or your children are) can work on getting the placement you want. 
-
I would say you should start looking for a placement early. If you are unsure what you want to do or where to go, go somewhere you think you will enjoy yourself or somewhere that reflects your personality. For example I would say John Lewis would be my preferred place because it's not only somewhere I like, it's also somewhere that I shop regularly. 
Next my advice would be to have a CV written up and make sure it reflects who you are and big yourself up no matter how cheesy it may sound. And finally get in touch with your work experience director to see if they have any positions you are interested in, and even though to tell the truth my school has nothing much in terms of make up artistry, your school might offer more than you think.
-

-
The bottom line is not a lot of high end brands are willing to take on a bunch of 15 year old girls and trust their brand with them, but you can find work in department stores with make up counters that can give you a good weeks worth of experience not just to put on your CV, but to also give you an insight into the working world of cosmetics! Thanks for reading and I will be updating regularly on my progress and then document my experience for that week in October. I was also considering doing a little giveaway in October so you can get involved in that in the future!
-

2 comments:

  1. I did WE at John Lewis and loved it! didn't want it too end! Showing my daughter this post to give her some inspiration too!

    ReplyDelete